I finally got a supply of the most common bulbs in the machine – #555’s. I noticed a few burnt-out bulbs while playing, and a quick run through the lamp test mode made it easy to narrow them down.
Some of the bulbs are directly accessible under the playfield, while others require a small PCB board to be removed. I was glad I took the time to remove these PCBs, as many of the bulbs that were “working” were covered in black filth! They were easy to clean, and the result is more light in the game. 🙂
Here’s a photo of the largest lamp PBC in the game, which lights up the mission lights and the shields:
Turns out inserting bulbs can require quite a bit of force, as the sockets can be very stiff. I ended up pushing hard enough on a socket that one of the pin solder joints came loose and the socket bent away from the PCB:
It was an easy fix with the soldering gun, even for a novice like myself. Here the same PCB is re-assembled and all its lights are on:
And finally, a few pictures of the playfield, just for fun. Click on the last image for a high-resolution shot of the full playfield.