The side rails on the Space Shuttle cabinet were full of nicks and scratches – a few from when I pulled those dreaded twist nails, unfortunately. Today while waiting for the cabinet paint to dry I started working on them a bit to try to get those scratches out.
The tools I used were sand paper (with a sanding block), red Scotch-Brite pads and a bench grinder with a Scotch-Brite cut & polish wheel.
The bench grinder worked the best for removing the deeper scratches, but it left visible marks behind, so I finished them off with the sandpaper and pad making sure to work in the direction of the grain of the metal. Here’s some progress made on the one on the left, while the one on the right is as it came off the machine: